INDICTMENT ISSUED AGAINST EDIN DŽEKO (1972)15.06.2012. 15:17
The accused Edin DŽEKO is charged to have, during the war in Bosnia and in times of armed conflict between the Army of RBiH and the HVO, as a member of the Special Detachment for Special Purposes of the Supreme Command Staff of the Army of R BiH (SDSP SCS) "Zulfikar", acted contrary to the provisions of the Geneva Convention relative to Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War and the Treatment of Prisoners of War of August 12 1949.
Edin Džeko is, inter alia, charged with the following:
- to have, in the morning hours of April 16, 1993, participated in a well-prepared, earlier planned attack on Trusina village in the municipality of Konjic, which was commanded by the Deputy Commander of SDSP SCS A RBiH "Zulfikar" - Nihad BOJADŽIĆ AKA "Blek" and "Nihko" who has ordered before the attack on this village that no one from the village Trusina should remain alive. In this attack on the village inhabited by ethnic Croats, no attention was paid to making a distinction between civilian and military targets. Upon completion of the attack, Nedžad HODŽIĆ AKA "Džon Vejn" and "Džoni", has issued an order in the hamlet of Gaj - Trusina village, to shoot the lined HVO members and civilians. Following the order the accused Edin DŽEKO, along with Nedžad HODŽIĆ, Mensur MEMIĆ AKA "Menta", Rasema HANDANOVIĆ AKA "Zolja" and other members of SDSP SCS "Zulfikar" known to him, participated in the execution by shooting of the lined HVO soldiers, who had previously surrendered. On this occasion three members of the HVO, who have previously surrendered and three civilians were killed;
- to have, on April 16, 1993, while participating in the aforementioned attack on the village of Trusina, shot and killed the two elderly women and one old man - all ethnic Croats;
- to have in the afternoon of September 8, 1993, along with members of SDSP SCS A RBiH "Zulfikar" Nedžad Hodžić AKA "Džon Vejn" and "Džoni" and other members of the R BiH Army participated in the unlawful illegal deprivation of liberty of nine Croat civilians in Jablanica and their detention in a dugout cellar - pit located in the complex of Rogić house in Donja Jablanica, the base of SDSP SCS ARBiH "Zulfikar" at the time. During this unlawful detention, together with Nedžad HODŽIĆ he had beaten one of the Croat civilians hitting him with clenched fists and kicking him to the head and body, causing great suffering and violations of physical integrity and health. Nine Croat civilians that were unlawfully detained were driven through the streets of Jablanica and Edin Džeko shouted to the Muslim citizens who happened to be on the streets "look at these Ustashas". Certain people reacted by use of derogatory words, hence causing these civilians to feel deep discomfort, fear and shame;
- to have in September 1993, taken one of the nine captured Croat civilians out of the dugout cellar –pit , which was located in the complex of Rogić house in Donja Jablanica, a base of the SDSP SCS A RBiH "Zulfikar" at the time, and had taken him to Jablanica where he forced him, threatening to kill him and pointing a gun at him, to borrow 3500 marks from acquaintances and relatives as the price for his life then forcing him to handover the money which he did;
- to have in October 1993 taken another detained Croat civilian, as ordered by the Commander Zulfikar Ališpago AKA "Zuka", to his house and to have taken, under threat, 3500 marks and a bottle of whiskey from him and then left him at home ordering him to not move anywhere;
- to have in the second half of the 1993 on the road Jablanica - Mostar, near restaurant Prenj, together with the Deputy Commander of SDSP SCS A R BiH "Zulfikar" Nihad BOJADŽIĆ ordered ethnic Croat civilians - prisoners, to line up on the main road while it was being shelled from HVO positions, telling them: "If you move we shall kill you, and if you do not move may the HVO kill you". At the same spot and on several occasions in September and October 1993, together with other members of SDSP SCS A R BiH Zulfikar, he had been beating and kicking two captured Croat civilians, when they went for or were returning from lunch;
- to have, in September 1993 in the complex of Rogić house in Donja Jablanica, a base of the SDSP SCS A R BiH Zulfikar at the time, ordered three members, known to him, of SDSP SCS ARBiH "Zulfikar" to beat a prisoner - ethnic Croat with battens and concrete blocks and to shove his head into a barrel of water, which they did several times while he was standing close by cheering them on yelling ˝ kill him, kill him˝, causing serious physical pain to the prisoner.
The accused Edin Džeko is charged with having, during the war and armed conflict, acted in violation of international law, participated in the killings, torture, inhumane treatment, unlawful confinement of civilians and prisoners of war and the looting of their property, and by doing so with having committed the criminal offense of War Crimes against Civilians under Article 173, Paragraph 1, Subparagraphs c) e) and f) and War Crimes against Prisoners of War under Article 175, Paragraph 1, Subparagraph a), in conjunction with Article 180 Paragraph 1 of the Criminal Code of BiH and Article 29 of the same Code.
The indictment was forwarded to the Court of BiH for confirmation.
Dear Media Representatives, when transmitting news please bear in mind that persons referred to in the news and information of the BiH Prosecutor's Office, have the status of a suspect or an accused person. Let us remind you of the principle of presumption of innocence, which defines that no person shall be considered guilty until his/her guilt has been established by a final verdict.